By Jide Allen
One of the most confronting challenges experienced by Nigerians, is the issue of accommodation in the country. Over the years, this major challenge has denied many individuals from living in their comfort zone or dream home as they would wish for, either because of money issues, or the stress associated with owning a house in Nigeria.
One of the modern solution that has been identified to reduce the problem of accommodation in the country is the adaptation of shipping container homes in Nigeria. This architectural trend is yet to be fully recognized my most people living in the country. Hence, the purpose of this write-up is to enlighten Nigerians the pro’s and con’s that accompanies shipping container housing in the country. Below are 9 important factors you must note about shipping container housing;
1) Cost Factor: The pricing for shipping containers, is an important factor that must be put into consideration while deciding to opt in for container homes. Most individuals in the country are often discouraged by the cost that comes with containers, but this should not be an obstacle considering the logistics attached. The average costs for containers are:
20ft (6m) – N550,000
40ft (12m) – N650, 000
The above estimated cost includes further logistics e.g transportation to designated location.
2) Specifications of Container: The desired dimension of containers may vary, but the average specification of containers to be considered ranges between;
Length – 6m (20 foot) or 12m (40 foot)
Height – 2.5m
Width – 2.4m
3) Duration of Construction: The timeframe attached with the completion of shipping containers is not specific. This is as a result of differences in the size and complexity of the project to be embarked on. But the average duration falls between weeks or months depending on the nature of the project. Also note that shipping containers could be constructed on the designated site or off site if there’s shortage of space in which they can be later moved to the desired location with a truck.
4) Safety and Security: Another factor to be considered is the security that comes with shipping containers. In Nigeria safety and security is an important priority for her citizens due to the shortcomings experienced overtime in this area. Thus the designed structure of containers which comes with strong and robust parts and surfaces enables it to be exposed to regular rough handling. Therefore, it can’t be easily broken into with ease. This would go a long way in easing off security fears and enable anyone go about his or her normal activity as carried out in a concrete designed structure.
5) Structural Longevity And Life Span: One of the frequently asked questions about container homes, is how long can it last? The sincere answer to this is simply as long as possible with proper maintenance. This type of structure mostly originate from Corten steel which are stronger than traditional steel which is less prone to corrosion. Container structures are more potent and stronger than wooden, concrete and the average regular steel buildings. Irrespective of how they are built, they offer strong resistance to any sort of Natural disaster which enables it longevity.
6) Exterior and Interior Design: Considering the visible difference between container structures and the traditional concrete structures, on tends to wonder if the exterior and interior view of a container home can look appealing to the eyes. Definitely, it is possible to actualise any kind of design you envisage with a concrete structure to be done with a home structure made with containers. This is what makes shipping container housing special in it’s kind, it gives room for enough creativity and innovative design that would surely make your home stand out and look attractive like the conventional structures made with concrete and blocks.
7) Comfortability and Temperature: Many tend to wonder if shipping container homes can give the comfort one desires. This is absolutely possible, considering the fact that shipping containers are made from metals which are good conductors of heat. Furthermore, containers have to be carefully and properly insulated in other to regulate temperature during rainy and dry season.
8) Regulations Governing Container Housing: Due to the slow adoption of container homes in Nigeria, most States are yet to come up with substantial regulations that would govern shipping container housing in the country. However, it is advisable to secure permits to guarantee the establishment of your container home, to avoid unnecessary issues in the future when laws would have been fully put in place to govern this method of housing in the country.
9) Companies Who Specialize in Container Housing: It is expedient that as you imagine and determined to have a container home structure of your own, the professional requirements and standard associated with building this kind of structures are given to recognized and ideal professionals in this field. There are several companies who are involved in shipping containers activities and as such finding the perfect one to actualise your dream home can not be negotiated.
The above factors highlighted above, are few out of many to be adequately considering while deciding to possess or own a container home.
We at Easyporta Global Limited have built a substantial reputation in shipping and building container projects to meet the standard of our clients.
Therefore, if you’re considering shipping containers or building a container home for yourself simply contact us below.